What To Do in The Office When You Are Sleepy
One of my mentors once said, “When you are sleepy, sleep. Don’t go against nature. You are more productive when you are able to sleep because you are fully-charged.” I agree. Indeed, I am more productive when I have taken enough rest. How I wish this is applicable to workplaces. While some workplaces offer such a good arrangement, most workplaces don’t.
So, what to do in the office when you are sleepy?
When you are sleepy but you are not allowed to snooze, you can do the following:
- Drink coffee. This is provided you are not taking any medication that would go against coffee. Moreover, If you are like me who palpitates with excessive caffeine, then the next numbers are our friendly choices.
- Drink lukewarm water. Yes, it can help, too. Plus, it’s a healthier choice than stocking up caffeine in your system all the time.
- Eat a gum. Chewing a bubble gum makes you use your tongue and other parts of the mouth. It makes your mind more active.
- Eat an apple. This is also a healthy way to avoid sleeping during work hours. Eat an apple instead of eating pastries and sweets.
- Chewable candy with mint or menthol. I’m not a hundred percent sure whether it applies to some more people but my friends and I tried eating a chewable candy with mint and it made us awake. We tried Mintini, a menthol candy.
In addition, stand and stretch so you can keep your blood flowing throughout your body. You can also walk for like 3-5 minutes. Oh, and one last thing, jumping jacks for 16 counts also helps. Don’t think of it as a waste of time. Think of it as a more productive option so you could keep going throughout the day.
I am such a sleepyhead especially when I have slept late the night before the workday. I generally need an 8-hour sleep so I can function well during the day. When I don’t get an 8-hour sleep, I’d be grumpy or tired all throughout the day.
Getting an 8-hour sleep is ideal. However, this is not possible especially when there are a lot of things to do and stuff to catch on. So, what I do to make myself alert and still productive when I lack sleep? I take a nap during break time.
A couple of years a go, my nap actually meant an hour long. Yes, I have to snooze for really an hour. It was too long. Later on, I developed a habit of making myself sleep for 15-25 minutes during break time since we only have an hour break.
Here’s some tips on napping during the break time:
- First, look for a nice place to take a nap. A table with a comfortable chair will do if you can sleep while sitting. If it’s a noisy place, go get some headset.
- Next, set a timer for how long you would like to take a nap. Make it somewhere between 10 to 30 minutes.
- Third, make a commitment to snooze and tell yourself, “Okay, I’m going to take a nap for a bit and I’ll wake up on time.” Be realistic.
Remember, if there’s a will, there’s a way!
Have a nice nap!
Do you have more tips on what to do in the office when you are sleepy? Comment down below and share your thoughts!