Okay, finally I am sharing with you our secret family recipe (which is not secret at all) for moist chocolate cake. Aside from it a best-seller, this recipe doesn’t contain butter nor eggs, just in case it would interest you. My family has been using this recipe since…the start of fairy tales…you know, a long time ago and I used this recipe for most of my cakes orders and my customers just love it.
Without much ado, here’s the recipe which I have memorized by heart:
MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE
4 cups all purpose flour
3 cups sugar
9 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee
1 tbsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (can use canola oil)
3 cups water
4 tbsp (1/4 cup) white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180 175 degrees Celsius or 350 325 degrees F. If baking cupcakes, use the higher temperature to get a good dome.
- Don’t forget to lower temperature by 10degreesC or 25degreesF if baking on a dark or non-stick pan.
Grease a 10×14 rectangular or two (2) 10×2 round pans or line muffin pans with baking cups. One recipe will make about 40 3-oz cupcakes.
- Mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly and make a well in the center.
- Add the liquid ingredients and mix until free of lumps. You can strain the mixture to avoid over mixing and to remove the lumps. You can use a stand or hand mixer and finish off by straining the mixture to crush out the lumps.
- Pour into baking pan/s and bake for 40-60 minutes or until toothpick/cake tester comes out clean when inserted.
- For cupcakes, bake for 25-30 minutes.
Transfer to wire rack and cool before frosting.